22.4.23

April 21: Naxos

I woke early. I slept well, except for being bitten by a mosquito and waking up scratching my hand. I smashed the blighter into the wall and he left a good long bloody streak. Thankfully he was the only one in the room, and I was able to get back to sleep fairly easily.

I did three hours of work and then did hand laundry. I washed underwear in the bathroom sink, and I washed a t-shirt and skort in the deeper sink in the kitchenette. It took about an hour to soak, scrub, rinse, and then hang everything. But, I was happy to have the two sinks and the small clothes rack with clothespegs on the balcony. As far as travel and laundry goes, it's a pretty sweet setup.

Around 1:00pm, I walked to the harbout to take photos and search for a restaurant to have lunch. The walk was painful. My legs and back ached from the previous day's efforts, and I had to step frequently to rest. It was sunny again and I was feeling the heat.

I stopped at Pikantiko Grill House and had a very disappointing meal. The salad was limp and soggy and the chicken souvlaki was dry and salty. As I was leaving, I bumped into Cindy and Sandy from the hotel. They had recomended that restaurant the day before but I forgot the name. It was complete coincidence that I ended up eating there.




Back at the hotel, I went straight into the pool. It was 3:00pm by this time so the pool was partially shaded, which was good. The direct sunlight is harsh. Cindy and Sandy arrived 30 minutes later and came out to the pool right away. We got chatting and eventually an older gentleman named Joe, from Australia, joined us. A little while after that an older woman, Corinna, from Bordeaux, France, also joined us. We had a rollicking chat until about 7:00pm when they decided to go to a nearby restaurant for dinner. My legs and back wouldn't tolerate it, so I stayed at the hotel and had a sandwich in my room.

Joe, Sandy, Corinna, Cindy, and Rowena (L to R):


Sandy, Cindy, Joe, Corinna, Rowena (L to R):

No comments: